Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blogging around: Mary and Connor

Mary's blog

Mary wrote about how the large number of extracurriculars high school students are involved in detract from things like homework and sleep:

I liked this post a lot because it's a problem that plagues not just me, but several of my friends as well. I definitely feel that extracurriculars suck up a large portion of time from the day, and when you get back home at 9 o'clock and still have several hours of homework to do, it can be tough. I also notice that when I do well, my parents like to take credit for it. But when I don't do so well, it's something I've done wrong, something I need to fix. But I guess c'est la vie.

I also agree with your point that we create pressure for ourselves. college is looming and it dominates a lot of our thoughts. We need to get good grades to get into a good college to get a good job and make lots of money. That one bad test will ruin our lives because it will lower our gpa. A break from that kind of thinking would be nice, but once again, c'est la vie.

Connor's blog:

Connor wrote about how the roles of business and government are completely different.  Government's power to intervene in the economy should be limited to where they are no longer allowed to take the role of a business:

Yes, I agree that business and government are very different entities. However, I disagree that government should never intervene. There are surely some instances where government intervention is a good thing; You cannot say that the post office, police station, or firemen are bad things. Additionally, there are some places where the free market has failed. To use a current example, over 46 million people lack health insurance because they either can't afford it or get turned down because they have a preexisting condition. I agree with you that businesses do not make good governments. A drive for profit should never be the primary motive for anything in charge of the lives of millions of people. They're just primarily not democracies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Send Email